Monday, November 10, 2008

Thriving at the Grocery Store... Part 2

Well, believe it or not, we topped last weeks savings at the grocery store yesterday! Between coupons and store sponsered sales, we saved $48.90 on a grocery bill of $100 after savings! Holy CRAP! That's a really, really nice dinner out... or a nice bit of extra money to put into savings. Because goodness knows that at this difficult time in our economy when people should be spending on credit and going into debt for that flat screen tv or blue ray player, these stupid, irresponsible people are... dare I say it... saving money!

Maybe I just don't know anything about economics (which is a HUGE possibility), but I wonder if this economic crisis is less of a crisis and more of a "righting". By that, I mean, maybe our society has simply overspent and has been for a long time. We've been living on credit and over leveraging ourselves. We are one of the richest nations in the world, and what do we do with that, we live in a constant state of discontentment, wanting more and more and more, without thought to the consequenses of our have it now, pay for it later mentatlity.

I personally have seen this economic crisis give me a much stronger sense of gratitute for the things I have, both material and non-material. For the bottom line is... I have plenty of food to eat, and clothes to wear, and a roof over my head, and a wonderful man to live under that roof with.

Truthfully, I never thought that I would be clipping coupons. In years past, I have been very frivilous with my money. Always having what I needed (or the credit to finance it), I took money for granted. Now, having more limited funds, I see all the ways that I could be saving so that I can do the things I want to do, and have the things that are priorities to me. Life is all about priorities. Oh, and included in this grocery trip were the makings of the marble bread with chocolate ganach that I've been wanting to make. I'll be posting that soon.

Happy Monday everyone!

No comments: