Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Daddy's First Father's Day

Father's Day started bright and early in our house. For me at least. Turtle slept in until about 6:30, and I took her into her nursery to feed her and let Jay sleep for a while. After she was done, I decided to go ahead and start setting up for the day instead of going back to bed like I usually do on weekend mornings.

I put Turtle on her playmat in the craftroom and she "talked" and batted at the toys while I cleaned off my out of control craft table and started setting it up. Hallmark was selling this Superman wrapping paper for Father's Day and it had become the inspiration for the entire day.

While we were setting up I snapped some pictures of Lily in her Superman onesie with Daddy's gifts.

DSC_7234

Well, 2 of his 3 gifts since I'd given him one before we headed out for Maker Faire. He was packing his man-bag diaper bag and I decided he needed the manly paci holder I had gotten him, so I broke down and gave it to him a day early.  I had wrapped two of the gifts in the same gift boxes, though, so there I was feeling of the boxes and shaking them trying to figure out which one had the paci holder in it. He really like it and also liked the book I got him to read to Turtle called Daddy Hugs.

I was planning to make breakfast about 9am since I didn't want to wake him up too early, even if it was to bring him breakfast. But he ended up getting up before then. So, we snuggled on the couch for a while and I asked him if he wanted to open presents first or have breakfast first. He of course chose the presents. I sat Turtle up in her Bumbo so she could watch. (I know she's on a raised surface which she's not supposed to be but we have a puppy we don't trust around her and Daddy was right there.)

DSC_7250

The light in our living room is minimal. This is great for Jay since he'd live in a cave if he could. Not so much for Mommy and her photography endeavors. This one is blurry because I was trying to shoot without the flash.

DSC_7238


This one is harsh and cold because I finally gave up and turned the flash on. I figured I'd rather have bad quality pictures of this experience then no pictures at all. Jay loved his cards especially once he saw how much Turtle like the one she "got" him. I had also had her "sign" her card. I put a sharpie in her hand and let her make some marks on the card. Of course the first thing she did was put the cap end in her mouth, but oh well. When she goes off to college he'll have that card with her 3 month-old scribbles in it.

After the presents were opened (a daddy picture frame for his office and a wireless mouse in the shape of a Chevy Camero), I started breakfast. I had gotten some awesome thick cut bacon and eggs. I'm not a big fan of either, so I rarely cook them, but that is pretty much what Jay always gets when we go out to eat. He snuggled Turtle and watched TV while I cooked then we all snuggled on the couch for the rest of the morning.

My friend Lauren and I had gotten together to plan part of the day since this was her husband's first Father's Day too. We knew that as much as our guys liked hanging out with us, they also desperately needed some guy time once in a while. So, we had bought them tickets to see the new X-Men movie together. So, about midday, they headed out to that and Lauren came over to our house to start setting up for the cook out. Thankfully, my mom also came over to help wrangle the girls.

I kept with the Superman theme for the table.

DSC_7264


The center piece was super easy and used mostly things I already had on hand.

DSC_7267

In fact the only thing I bought specifically for the centerpiece was the Superman Dad stickers which were actually gift decorations from Hallmark. To add a little extra pop, I decided to make some napkin rings. I had some blue paper scraps left over from making a friend's invitations (like a YEAR ago) that were exactly the color blue I needed. See, this is why I always save any big scraps of paper I have because you never know when you can use them later. I cut out some of the logos from the wrapping paper and taped them down to the blue paper and then just taped them around a napkin. I think it added just the right amount of pizazz.

DSC_7266

Once the guys got back from the movie we lit up the grill. I was planning on doing the cooking but realized that I have no idea how to cook steaks on the grill and decided if we were going to end up with anything but burnt steaks it'd be better to leave that up to Jay.

DSC_7268

DSC_7270

Mmmmm... While he was grilling, mom was hanging out on the deck with Turtle. I was able to snap a few pictures in the gorgeous overcast lighting.

DSC_7273

DSC_7274

Look at that button nose!! And my new favorite picture...

DSC_7278

We all had such a great time hanging out!

DSC_7280

And I think the boys had a great First Father's Day. I sure hope they felt celebrated, loved and appreciated. I know that every day should be Mothers Day/Fathers Day but that is just not practical. So, I think it's absolutely appropriate to have one day of the year were we really go all out to show our partners how much we appreciate everything they do for us!

I hope everyone else's Father's Day was as wonderful as ours!

1 comment:

Granggie said...

Looks like it was as special as you hoped it to be!
Great pics!