Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When Life Gives you a Lemon...

... You must be 14 weeks pregnant! Woohoo! I can't believe it. The time seems to have really started picking up in the last couple of weeks. Maybe that's because I'm feeling a little better, not back to "normal" by any means but better. So, what's up with the Butter Bean this week?

"This week your baby's well-defined face can also make expressions like a squint or a frown. Some babies may even start growing hair on the head or the face, such as eyebrows. If your baby is a girl her eggs will have already developed inside her ovaries. If you're having a boy, his prostate gland is developing."

This past week was very exciting! We had our second appointment with the midwife and were able to hear the Butter Bean's heartbeat (full story here), and then yesterday I SWEAR I felt the baby move. Now yes I know it might have been a gas bubble (adorable I know) or who knows what else since your entire digestive system goes wacky when you get pregnant, but it felt exactly like the experiences of other girls on my board.

Jay and I were laying on the couch and I was telling him about some of the girls having felt the baby for the first time. Now, most of them are a couple weeks further along than I am (since it's a board for girls due in Feb of 2011) or having multiples, but I swear I felt him! It was right below my belly button in the center of my stomach and felt like a cricket running across the inside of my belly. My mouth flew right open and I sat up straight! It was so incredible! I must have laid back down for a half an hour with my hands on my stomach saying, "Come on baby! Do it again!" but nothing. Oh well. All in due time. Jay told me I should probably enjoy it because pretty soon the baby will take up residence between my ribcage and my bladder and I'll be begging him to give me a break from all the moving around. :-) I can't wait!

I bought more maternity clothes this weekend. I seem to have popped out a little bump in the last few days. I can still wear my pants below the bump (although that's becoming less comfortable) but my non-maternity tops are starting to become too short and I was getting tired of fighting with them all day. So, Jay and I went to Destination Maternity and got a bunch of tops on sale. Below you will find my very first "belly shot" picture! Now it's kind of hard for me to look at it since I've been trying to camouflage a definitely-not-flat belly for a while, but I figured if I didn't start taking pictures soon then I'd never be able to see any progress so here goes! I'm sucking in as hard as I can, and have to figure out how to take a non-blurry picture one handed while sucking in for my life but trying not to look constipated because of it! Hehe. I'm taking solence in the fact that I actually lost 2 lbs in the first trimester, so any expansion has to be the baby!







Physically, I'm doing pretty well. Still have some nausea and vomiting every once in a while but thankfully I have the prescription for Zofran that my midwife gave me a few weeks back so I pop one of those if it gets too bad. I'm finding it very hard to keep down the first meal of the day on weekend days. I don't know if it's because I sleep later on weekends or eat differently or what but it seems like no matter what I do, the first thing I eat on a weekend day is going to come back up. It's kind of annoying since we are usually busy running errands or hanging with friends on the weekend. Oh well. Hopefully now that we are solidly in the second trimester it will get better.

I am getting more energy back and very excited about that! Jay and I will be sanding and painting a couple of pieces of furniture this weekend and I'm very excited about it! Looks like it's going to be the perfect weekend for it. And before anyone freaks out, I am going to get a mask and may buy ecofriendly paint (even though we have some left over from the last thing we painted and it's the right shade). Since it's not going in the baby's room I'm not too worried about it other than the actual painting part. Anything we put in the baby's room however, will be painted with low-VOC eco-friendly paint.

Looking forward, our next appointment with the midwife is on Sept. 17th. At that one we will be able to make the appointment for the anatomy scan which will (among a bunch of other things) tell us whether our Butter Bean is a McKinley Jeremiah or Olivia Louise! I can't wait!

Happy Wednesday everyone! Hope your week is going well!

No comments: