Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Peaches & Dreams (week 13)

Welcome to week 13/14 everyone! We have officially made it to the second trimester! Woohoo! This means that the chance of miscarriage is drastically reduced. And hopefully, very soon, some of the more bothersome pregnancy symptoms will begin to subside. I've heard many women say that the second trimester is there favorite and that many get a boost of energy during this time. I'm really hoping so since I am looking at getting a second job in order to save money for the baby.

So what's going on with baby this week? Let's see:

"Up until now, your baby's head has been proportionally larger than the rest of the body. But around this time your baby's body will start to catch up and grow more proportionally to the head. If you could peek inside your womb, you could see your baby's motor skills starting to work. Your baby is able to move and flex the arms and legs, but you won't be able to feel this movement until later."

It is truly amazing!

I'll admit, the last couple of weeks have been a challenge. I'm finding it hard to control my emotions. I cry more than usual, and take things more personally. Things people say and do hurt my feelings more easily. It is also very frustrating feeling like you can't trust your own judgement. It's hard not knowing whether I have a right to be hurt and upset at someone for something they said or did, or if it's just hormones/bi-polar issues. It's hard being unable to determine if you are overreacting to something, and of course the person you're mad at is going to tell you that you are blowing things out of proportion. But when you tell close friends and family, and they see how upset you are, they sometimes recommend drastic measures that don't feel right either. I feel trapped. Caught in a body that can't process information correctly. Unable to know what to believe and who to trust. Now I remember how drastically my life changed when I went on medication for the first time.

Physically, I've been doing ok. The nausea and vomiting is only intermittent now. I'll admit, I probably take the anti-nausea medicine, Zofran, the midwife prescribed for me more often then I should. But oh well. Hopefully, that will get better now that I've hit the 2nd trimester. I'm beginning to feel a little more energetic which is great! Like I said before, if I end up getting a second job I'll need the extra energy!

My clothes are still fitting really well, but I'm beginning to see a difference in my belly and possibly even a bump. It's hard to tell though, since I'm carrying more weight then I should be. According to my scale, I've gained a lb from last week (which puts me down 2lbs over all). That is probably due to the stomach issues over the last week. I did buy a few maternity clothes a couple of weekends a go, and a friend gave me a bunch. I'm just not quite big enough for most of them yet. I do admit, though. On the weekends I wear the maternity clothes and pretend that my belly is all baby. :-) It's fun. I can't wait until I'm really showing, and then until I can feel the baby. I'm tempted to get a fetal doppler heart monitor, but just haven't actually done it yet. I've heard such mixed reviews. Some women have great luck with them, others just find it frustrating and anxiety producing when they are unable to find the heartbeat.

This Friday is my next appointment with my midwife. We'll have lots to talk about since the psychiatrist took me off my meds since the last time I've seen her. I also want to ask her about a comment she made about me possibly having a tilted uterus. I want to know if that could explain some of the "girl issues" I've had over the years and if she thinks it'll cause any problems during labor... and if it'll put me at a higher likelihood of having back labor. We should also be able to get the results of the blood work done at my last appointment with the OB. I figure if there were any major problems they would have called me, but I'm anxious to go over the results. And finally, and most importantly, we should be able to hear the heartbeat on Friday for the first time! If for some reason she is unable to locate it, she said she'd do an ultrasound right then to make sure the baby is ok. There are possible reasons why she might not be able to find the heartbeat that are perfectly normal. If my uterus is still tilted to the back then she might not be able to pick it up with the doppler. Also, having an anterior placenta (where the placenta has attached in the front) would make it hard for the doppler's sound waves to reach the baby. But one way or the other we will have proof on Friday that the Butter Bean is in there and doing well.

Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope your weeks are going well! Talk to you again soon!

p.s. I just realized today how stream-of-consciousness these weekly blogs have become. Sorry about that. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the extent of the brain power I have right now. Trying to organize my thoughts would take way too much energy! Hehe!


No comments: