Monday, July 12, 2010

Update... and what a big update it is!

Good morning all, and happy Monday!

Once again it has been almost a whole month since I blogged. I feel horrible about this, but when I explain why, I think you'll understand. This blog has always been about my life, first and foremost. The topics come from the things that I've been pondering. Usually the ideas roll around in my head until they can't be contained any more. Well, recently there has been one major thing on my mind, and I wanted to make sure that our friends and family found out some other way then my blog. So without further ado...


That's right. We're just shy of 8 weeks and due in late February, 2011. Now, "everyone" cautioned us to wait until we were out of the first trimester (or about 13 weeks) to make the announcements, but the news was getting out and I was tired of going to post something here on the blog or on Facebook and thinking, "oh wait! Can't hint about the baby yet!" So, as per standard for my life, I've thrown caution and tradition to the wind and decided to make the announcement anyway!


I'm sure you want to know the story.

This was a huge surprise. We certainly had not set out to get preggo, but without going into too much graphic detail, I'll just say that we knew we were playing with fire. So, I guess it was a surprise but not a shock.

I knew I was a day or two late, but that didn't concern me too much as it happens from time to time. I would say I "knew", but I've "known" many other times and was wrong. This just seemed a little different. I wasn't sick, but had some other signs and over the weekend was having a very hard time keeping my eyes open! So, on Sunday evening, I took the first home pregnancy test. Now, I've taken hundreds of these over my lifetime (see comment above about running "late" being rather normal for me) and I'm so use to them coming up negative, that I almost didn't believe it when I saw that very distinct (not faint at all) second pink line!

Now I hadn't told Jay that I was taking the test, because I knew he'd give me a hard time about getting my hopes up because he's been around for the aftermath of some of the other times I've "known" and was wrong...and devastated. So, I come out of the bathroom upstairs literally yelling his name! When I come down the stairs I realized that he was in the bathroom and tried my hardest to reassure him that I was ok.

When he came out I'm sitting at the bottom of the stairs in a state of shock, shaking, and hyperventilating. Yes, you'd think I'd be the calm one, but it was my wonderful, loving, amazing husband who I'd expected to be falling apart. We sat on the couch for a little while, soaking in the experience (and trying to catch my breath and stop shaking!). We decided we should have it confirmed right away and I promised to call the OB/GYN the next morning to make an appointment.

We made a couple of phone calls in which we swore said people to secrecy and then tried to go to sleep, which was impossible.

I was able to make an appointment with the OB for first thing Tuesday morning. Jay wasn't able to go with me, so my mom went, and I'm so glad she did. It was such a special mother/daughter moment. When the Dr came in and told us that their test had come up positive too, we hugged and cried, and he said that he sees so many people for whom finding out they are pregnant isn't a happy thing, it was nice to see people ecstatic and over joyed.

I texted Jay from the Dr's office to let him know it was official... and the journey officially began.

It has been a whirlwind ever since, what with trying to eat right, and reading more information than any one person should ever be subjected to, and researching gear and nursery decorating blogs, and ugh! But I can tell you one thing, there will be plenty of topics to cover here on the blog! I don't have any belly pictures yet, as I'm not showing. And I'd take a "before" picture, but I've had a fat bump for a while now and really don't want to put that up on the internet. I'm sure there will be plenty of belly pics to come. I do have one of the positive pregnancy test, but I promised Jay that I'd refrain from posting a picture on my blog of something I peed on. ;-)

So... here's to the biggest surprise of our life. I couldn't be happier, and more scared! Buckle up folks, it's gonna be a fun 7 months!

1 comment:

~Erin~ said...

OH MY GOD I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOUUUUUUUU!!!!! AHHHH!!! That is so awesome and exciting and I know that you have been looking forward to this time in your life. Congratulations and good luck!!!!!