Monday, March 23, 2009

Sorry for the delay...

Sorry for the delay in posts everyone. I was planning on taking a little break after the blitzcrig of wedding wrap up post last week, but didn't plan on it being this long! I'm working on a herculean wedding tips and tricks blog, which I'm thinking may need to be turned into a bunch of smaller blogs because it's seriously turning into a book, either that or I need to actually write my own wedding how-to book ('cause there certainly aren't enough of those at Barnes and Noble!).



On top of the slight burn out, I missed a dose of my happy medication last week which turns normally tired but mostly upbeat, positive, go-getting Bonnie into why-do-the-dumbest-people-in-a-50-mile-radius-somehow-flock-to-me-bonnie. My annoyance fuse gets really short, my bull shit tollerance falls dangerously low, and I lose the majority of my compassion and empathy for my fellow human beings. Let's just say, it's not a good scene!



Thankfully, I got caught back up and that passed, just in time to come down with strep throat. Which is a funny story. I figure I got it from one of the kids Alexander Youth Network, or from Shannon who works with kids all day and might have just been carrying it, but the only person I know to have had it is one of my good friends, April... who I haven't seen in 3 weeks! I keep teasing her and telling her that I think she gave it to me over facebook! ;-) The only additional thing I can say about this is that antibiotics are a wonderful thing when used appropriately!



All that to say that there are more blogs coming soon! Tomorrow is the NC Equality Day of Action in Raleigh. I'll be heading up V.E.R.Y early tomorrow morning in time to be there by 9am. They will give us a crash course on how to lobby from 9:30 to 10:30 and then send us over to the capital building for our appointments with our senator and representatives. Once we are done there, we come back for lunch and debriefing and strategy sessions. I am truthfully so excited I can hardly stand it! I've got to put together my note cards with my talking points on them and make a few personal calling cards to leave with those I meet with.

I've been doing research on grassroots lobbying, and have been learning lots of fun stuff, like... always dress professionally, always have something to leave behind that has your best points on it, and leave a business or personal calling card so they have your name. Also, I need to make sure that I write thank you notes when I get back on Wednesday. Although I've written my representatives before, I have never visited them in Raleigh or really knew that was possible. I got a twitter message this morning saying that they had over 230 people pre-registered to be at the event tomorrow and how that's double what they have ever had before. I'm so glad that I took the time off of work to really stand up for what I believe in.

The ex-pastor of a church my family use to attend (yeah, one of those who ran off with the church's money and the secretary) use to always say, "You do what you want to do." Sounds simplistic but it's true. The bottom line is, we make time for the things we really want to do. As much as I bitch and complain about how much my weight and being so out of shape bothers me, obviously it doesn't bother me that much because I don't take time to do anything about it. People can talk all they want about what they are in to and what they believe in, but in my opinion the lipmus test is when you look at how they spend their time. That's why I really started getting inolved in the LGBTQ fight in the last 6 months or so. I realized that I talked alot about fighting for equal rights, but my life showed nothing to that end. Well, now it does!

Well, anyway, expect some new post in the next few days! Hopefully, I'll be back to feeling 100% here soon! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments: