Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week 39-40

Well, Weeks 39-40 were a little crazy to say the least. I'm going to do the best I can to remember how everything happened but the sleep deprivation makes college years look like a walk in the park.

I took a half day off on Wednesday of week 39 because I was feeling so exhausted. When I got home though, the puppy seemed to be doing worse then he had been. He was having diarrhea all over the house and seemed kind of lethargic. I decided it was now or never, so I took him to the vet. They determined that he had a stomach bug (duh!) and put him on a "bland" diet and some antibiotics. I was like, "What the heck is a bland diet to a puppy?!?!?" They gave me a recipe... yes... a recipe! Jay was working late that day so while my plan had been to pull through somewhere and get myself some food, instead I ended up going to the grocery at 38/39 weeks pregnant and getting rice, ground beef, and cottage cheese and cooking the princess puppy his dinner. It was comical.

Unfortunately, taking the half day off didn't help with the cold that was coming on since I was up taking care of the puppy the whole time. So, by Saturday I had a full on cold! I spent the entire weekend on the couch with my fingers crossed that Ms. Lily would stay put until I got better. Thankfully, she did and by the first of the week I was feeling better.

I had an appointment with my midwife on Tuesday and my blood pressure was a little high. They had me lay down on my left side and took it again. Of course, the more I worried about my BP being high the higher it went. It didn't go down. We finished the exam including an internal that showed that I was about 60% effaced and closed up tight. After the exam Tina said that she wanted to run some blood work to make sure that the high BP wasn't a sign of something bigger like pre-eclampsia.

Thankfully, the blood work came back normally, but we made an appointment for Friday afternoon. Tina said to come prepared to head to the hospital if the BP was still high. So, of course I stressed, and stressed, and stressed all week over the implications. Inductions... continuous fetal monitoring... epidurals... c-sections... etc. All of this I'm sure drove my blood pressure through the roof. By Friday I was so worked up that it was up even higher than it was on Tuesday so they sent us to the hospital to monitor it there.

Heading over to the hospital was scary but I did everything I could to stay as calm as I could. Everyone at the hospital was really awesome which really put my mind at ease for the birth. Once they found out that we were hoping not to be induced they were all routing for us to have low BP readings. In the midwife's office my reading was 160/84 by the time they took it at the hospital it was at 117/74. It stayed low for the following checks and we were sent home.

Thankfully, we were even able to finish up in time to meet Dan and Shannon for dinner that night. We'd made plans to go to PF Changs one last time before Lily got here. We had a great time and Shannon made a special request that Lily come before the next weekend since she was flying out to Portland. We laughed and said we'd do our best.

I had plans to finish up some things before the birth that weekend... hospital bag, pick up a few more things we needed, etc. But given the high blood pressure I spent most of the weekend on the couch watching tv and resting.

Sunday night I headed up stairs to get ready for the week. I got in the shower and was watching Friends while my hair dried. About 10:15pm I felt a gush. I just knew it was my water breaking. I ran to the bathroom and determined that yes it was definitely my water breaking...

And there begins the birth story. I'll finish that in another blog. Ah... so much to catch up on. Unfortunately, I didn't get a 39 week belly picture. I meant to get one before we headed into the hospital but it was a little hectic at that moment. Oh well...

No comments: