Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Second interview...

That's right. I have a second interview tomorrow! My first interview went great! Not only does this sound like a way to get out of a job I hate, but it sounds like a place I will really enjoy working. The office manager was great! I felt like we really connected. The HVAC department director/project manager was awesome as well and hillarious. He laughed and joked with the office manager the whole time. They seem to have that great work hard, play hard mentality to the office which is the main thing I miss about working at Studio 111 in Cali. I've been looking for that for the past 3 years and have been unable to find. The offices I've worked in since have all been sort of... stuffy. I'm all for professional in front of clients and professional when it comes to getting the work done, but if I'm going to be at a place for 40 hours a week (more time than I spend awake at my house in a week), then I want it to be a fun, happy, playful environment. And this office seems to have just that!

Additionally, they seem to really respect their admins and lean of them greatly. I hate offices that have a "here type this letter, little girl" attitude towards their admin staff. My current boss once suggested that we list only the "professional" staff on the website, meaning architects and intern architects. What does that make the support staff... unprofessionals?!?!? The office manager and I both have 4 year degress and just because we arn't architects doesn't make us not professionals. Grrr. By contrast this company sees their project assistants and support staff as vital members of the construction team.

The commute would be about the same as I have right now, but I wouldn't have to deal with downtown parking (which will save me $50 a month right off the bat). I'll take a per hour pay cut, but since I'll be working 40 hours a week again, at the end of the month we will have the same amount of income or greater, so J and I are happy about that.

I really think this is going to be a good opportunity, and I'll continue to keep you all updated. If I am offered the position, I'll definitely need your positive thoughts as I inform my current office that I'm leaving. If I think my job is stressful now, it will only get worse as I work my two week notice. Not looking forward to that, but I know that over the long run, it will be well worth it!

Thanks everyone for your crossed fingers and positive thoughts over this period! Hopefully, I'm almost there!

No comments: