Monday, November 15, 2010

The 2010 Stafford Family Holiday Card Adventure

I don't usually send out holiday cards. Every year I get a great idea, talk about it, think through how to make it work, sometimes I even take a family picture to include, but every year the time seems to get away from me and before I know it... it's New Years! But this year I'm bound and determined to change this! I've been wanting to have my brother take a picture of me and Jay, maybe in front of our house and that way we can sign them from Jay, Bonnie, and Baby Bump Stafford. :-) I figured I'd just design them and print them myself, but then I realized how laughable that thought actually is! I haven't done any crafting projects like that in MONTHS! Since I found out I was pregnant really. See, The Bump (aka Ms. Lily) has a way of sucking every last ounce of energy out of me and leaving me with maybe enough energy to go from the bed to the couch and back to the bed sometimes. So, I decided this year, maybe I'd enlist the help of some professionals.

Last week I was on Shutterfly.com's website, browsing this year's collection of holiday cards. And then what do I stumble across in my Google Reader Feed Friday morning, but this awesome post from one of my favorite bloggers Marriage Confessions about Shutterfly giving away 50 holiday cards to bloggers who are willing to write about them. A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Being a design oriented person, and someone who dabbles in stationary design, I can be rather snobby when it comes to stationary. Put another way, I have pretty high expectations. Thankfully, Shutterfly always impresses.

For instance...


I love this one. I love the bold black background, the use of traditional colors and shapes but in a non-traditional, mod way.


I love this one too! The black and white color scheme along with the font choices and design flourishes are elegant in such a simple and almost understated way! Plus the black eliminates the need to worry about colors in your family picture clashing with the colors of the card design.


Have more than one adorable picture you want to include on your card? Have no fear, Shutterfly has plenty of those designs too!


I love the elegance of this one! The colors are non-traditional but beautiful and still feel appropriate for the season. The font combo is awesome, and the snowflake design is beautiful!

But choosing a holiday card design is about more than just picking the example that you like the most. Because a design can be the most beautiful thing you've ever seen, but if your family picture doesn't look "right" in it, then it's a no go.

So, this weekend, my wonderful brother came over with his camera and took a few pictures of us sitting on the front step of our first home. Technically we bought it this time last year, but everything was so hectic that we didn't get to send out our first family-photoshoot-in-front-of-our-first-home holiday card. So, this year will have to do. It took us a little while to figure out how to work with the baby bump so that our friends would say "wow! Look how cute and pregnant she looks!" and not "Wow! She's put on some weight from last year!" We also figured out that the black turtle neck I had on at first was making the bump disappear instead of stand out, so there was a mid-session wardrobe change. But when it was all said and done, I think we got some really awesome pictures, and thus far, this is the forerunner for the 2010 Stafford Family Holiday Card.


But don't be too surprised if you get another design in the mail. As of right now, I have 7 designs saved in my account. I love them all and for different reasons. This could be difficult!!... But oh so fun too! I can't wait until next year when Ms. Lily will be our outside baby. I know I'll need one of the designs with multiple pictures to showcase all her awesomeness!

So, are you a blogger? Would you like to get in on Shutterfly's give away? It's really easy! All you have to do is head over to Shutterfly and register your blog. They'll send you an email with all the information you need, and then away you go!

Happy Monday everyone!

No comments: